In New York City where I live and across the nation, Spring is officially here! And with the advent of this season and preparation for Summer, we often sift what gets tossed from what should stay. This new season also requires you to revamp your makeup case and regimen. So here are a few popular makeup items and steps that you either need to toss out or take with you into the Spring!
1) Old Mascara. Most of you have probably had your mascara for too long. (I’ve been guilty of this as well.) Ladies, remember that you should purchase a new mascara every three months. The dilemma is that most of the time you haven’t even used up half of it! To solve this problem, I suggest you buy a travel size of mascara. That way you’ll get your money’s worth when it’s time to toss it. You can find these mini-sized mascara tubes at Sephora.
2) ‘No Hands” Foundation. Using your hands to apply your foundation. I have many issues with this hands-free “method” of applying foundation. But my biggest one is that it becomes extremely messy, usually doesn’t result in an even application, and can give you a streaky look. This is also a health hazard! Your hands are a breeding ground for dirt and using them to apply your makeup can potentially spread these germs and cause breakouts! Instead, use an efficient tool like the Beauty Blender or a foundation brush! I personally love using my beauty blender, due to the fact that it is so multifaceted. Not only does it help you achieve an even application, but it also can be used as a buffer for your foundation and concealer.
1) Red Lipstick. You will definitely be taking this classic lip color with you into the new season. As far as I’m concerned, a red lip is simply timeless and can instantly update your look! So whether you’re wearing a deep matte red or a glossy coral, this trend is a keeper.
2) Highlighter/Bronzer. It’s getting warmer and the sun is coming out, so to give your face a little pick me up and glow, swipe your favorite highlighter or bronzer on your temples, the apples of your cheeks, and chin. This will instantly illuminate your features.
3) Confidence. Beauties, the previous steps I’ve mentioned mean nothing if it is not applied to a confident woman. Despite the season, this is something you will need throughout your entire life. So guard it and NEVER allow anyone to project their own insecurities onto you. Remember who you are and believe that you are beautiful!