The holiday season has ended and I pray you used wisdom unlike the 40 percent of Americans that gained weight during this time of year. As you embark upon 2015, are you ready to see all your fitness goals fulfilled? For this to be the best year of your life physically, those bad habits you had in 2014 should stay there. No longer can you continue doing the same thing and expect a different result. That is insanity. Change your mind and your life will change.
George Bernard Shaw said it best:
Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.
The following three exercises will bring about great change to your body if you think differently about them.
1) AIR SQUAT: The air squat is a movement we use in everyday life. It plays a major role as a key foundational movement in fitness and functionality.
- Step 1: Start with your heels shoulder width apart and feet flat on the ground.
- Step 2: Your hips initiate the movement by sitting back and down.
- Step 3: As you descend, raise your hands above your face to ensure proper balance.
- Step 4: Proper depth is reached once the crease of your hips is below the top of the knee (if proper depth can’t be reached, lower to your ability).
2) PUSH UP: One of the most common body weight exercises that is often done incorrectly.
- Step 1: Start with hands shoulder width apart and directly underneath your body.
- Step 2: Your toes should be on the floor and your body in a plank position.
- Step 3: Lower your body down until your chest grazes the ground while keeping your head in a neutral position.
- Step 4: The movement is complete when your arms and elbows lock out at the top.
3) KETTLEBELL SWING: Is useful in developing strength and muscular endurance in your upper body. Before you perfect the proper range of motion, rhythm is going to be your key to success.
- Step 1: Once you’ve selected a manageable weight, you begin with a slight bend in your knees, feet shoulder width apart and heels planted firmly on the ground.
- Step 2: Hold the kettlebell firmly in your hands and keep close to your midline.
- Step 3: Power is generated by sending your hips back and thrusting the hips forward which sends the kettlebell directly overhead.
ACTION OF THE WEEK
Set the stopwatch on your phone for 10 minutes. Complete 10 air squats, 10 push-ups, and 10 kettlebell swings (use your judgment on what size kettlebell to use). Continue cycling through the movements until the clock stops. Record the total number of repetitions completed in the 10 minutes in a notebook. I challenge you to complete this workout three times this week to see if you beat you score each time. Be sure and check out the links to see demonstrations for each movement.
A change in your attitude is the key in 2015 to see the results you desire in your physical body. Dare to be different and change your life by first changing your mind.
Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. (Romans 12:2 NLT)