Have you heard of Black Jesus?
I had, but never knew what it was about and certainly hadn’t seen a trailer–until today. I was prompted to look into it when Gospel singer, Isaac “Ike” Carree called his Facebook followers to call in and boycott the show. Obviously I couldn’t do so just because he asked me to, so I looked it up. I was in no way ready for the utter mockery that ensued.
So what did I do? I “marched” over to the Black Jesus Facebook Page and Twitter account, shared my thoughts, and called others to share their thoughts as well.
We have no right to complain about the filth in our media if we have no intention of not watching it or doing nothing about it.
As men and women of God, regardless of age, sex, or colour, we are called to righteousness and holiness. And as God’s people, we are called to hate that which He hates, oppose that which He opposes.
God Uses US to Manifest HIS Will on Earth
One commentator stated:
If god actually cared he would taken it off.
Not so. God is a legal God. And this legal God has set very specific parameters in place as to how things are accomplished in the world.
Spiritual Battle Plan
In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. (Matthew 6:9-10)
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind (declare to be improper and unlawful) on earth must be what is already bound in heaven; and whatever you loose (declare lawful) on earth must be what is already loosed in heaven. (Matthew 16:19 AMP)
So here we have two keys of how, spiritually, we are to deal with things such as Black Jesus which offend the very soul of Christ and Christianity:
- Pray for God’s will to be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. There is no Black Jesus in Heaven, rest assured, so there should be none here.
- Bind (forbid) and loose (permit) God’s will in the earth. Make prayerful declarations as to what is and is not allowed according to the Word of God.
Natural Battle Plan
The Apostle Paul said the natural first and then the spiritual. Therefore, we cannot stop alone at prayer and declarations. We must act.
But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? (James 2:20)
We cannot say Black Jesus is outrageous and an overwhelming offense to our faith if we will do nothing about it.
This natural plan includes:
- Facebooking Them. Write on their Facebook Wall to express your feelings of righteous indignation. Share the link to their Page, encouraging your Facebook friends to do the same.
- Tweeting Them. Tweet them and encourage your Twitter followers to do so as well.
- Blog/Vlog about Them. If you have a blog, Youtube/Vimeo/SocialCam Channel, or are part of a media outlet, then talk about Black Jesus. Give your two cents on why you don’t support the show and give a strong call-to-action at the end.
- Petitioning Them. Sign my brand new petition to “End ‘Black Jesus.’”
- Boycotting Them. Unless you’re trying to watch the trailers for understanding of the show’s content, don’t turn to the show. If you watch it within the first three minutes, you actually help the show’s ratings and thus, defeat your purpose.
- Calling Them. Call them and respectfully voice your opinion. 404.827.1700
- Writing Them. Write them through their contact form or via snail mail at:
Cartoon Network: Adult Swim
1050 Techwood Drive
Atlanta, GA 30318
Note: Social media seems to work best in these protests because other people can see what you’ve done and add their voice to the cause.
Don’t Get Hung Up
Some simply sit back and say, “Satan is the Prince of the Power of the Air isn’t he? Nothing I do will help.” WRONG! It’s exactly that attitude which has allowed this kind of foolishness to dominate our televisions and movie screens. Satan may play at ruling the air (second heaven), but God created it! And according to Psalm 115:16, it belongs to Him!
The heaven, even the heavens, are the Lord’s; but the earth He has given to the children of men.
You, as a child of God, have a RESPONSibility in this situation.
If you want your children and teenagers to have an image of a black Jesus who chills in the hood with the homies, gets beat down, drops f-bombs, smokes weed, and other such tomfoolery, then do nothing. But if you actually care, then do something about it!
Black Jesus airs tonight at 11/10pm CST. Today will be critical in Adult Swim deciding how the show will be received. Let’s show them that Christians don’t just hide behind their Bibles, but actually walk in what they talk about!